The focus of the Senior Engineer within the Digital and Innovation team is to take vertical ownership of the whole software stack including support, monitoring and full operational responsibility. The position will work closely with the technical lead, product managers and the wider engineering team to deliver resilient and engaging digital products that are secure, scalable and operationally efficient. The position will also constantly embed new processes and standards for development and delivery, acting as a core knowledge source for the team.
- Vertically own the engineering stack by:
- Supporting product managers and stakeholders in the continuous delivery and operation of digital products.
- Implementing and supporting scalable monitoring systems and practices across the engineering team.
- Architecting scalable and resilient systems in line with our intensive load requirements.
- Assuming operational responsibility of the stack and ensuring its resilience at both peak and non-peak demand.
- Work alongside the technical lead to proactively lead consistent and robust engineering and product delivery practices, adopting a solutions oriented mindset while working within a cross-functional team structure.
- Creating an environment where best practices can be discussed and implemented with a team that is fully brought into the process. Proactively leading and supporting shared behaviours within the Engineering team, the wider Digital & Innovation department and across the organization.
- Acts as a source of knowledge and skill in the choice of engineering approaches and their delivery across Comic Relief’s products and services portfolio.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to all members of the engineering team.
- Integration of new technologies and concepts into the engineering stack, upskilling the team where necessary to handle the changes.
- Work within the Digital & Innovation Department alongside product managers to help gather requirements, design new products and services, ensuring that sed products and services meet their needs.
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- Experience of modern website development process using NodeJS and React to provide robust software applications and architectures.
- An appreciation and understanding of modern cloud providers with a proven knowledge of the implementation of SaaS products. With an awareness of AWS technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, CloudFront, S3 and Route53.
- A background within continuous integration and continuous delivery, with a drive to automate as much repetitive process as possible with an aim to deliver consistent and stable applications.
- Experience of working with and designing / delivering well documented and scalable RESTful API’s.
- Working within an agile team, managing expectations and delivering strong digital offerings.
- Ability to clearly explain complex engineering concepts and ideas at both a technical and non-technical level.
- A curious mindset, with the drive to test new ideas and concepts and integrate them within a team into the engineering process.